The Early Childhood Education M.Ed. Program focuses on the education of young children (birth to age 8) in public and private schools and centers, homes, and other facilities in which children are served. A strong emphasis is placed on developing relationships with the families of young children and working collaboratively with other professionals. The program offers a range of coursework encompassing the needs of infants, toddlers, preschoolers, and children in the primary grades. Through coursework, field placements, and practical learning experiences, students develop competence in the use of developmentally appropriate practices in diverse contexts and settings.
- Program Duration: Varies, depending on whether students are full-time or part-time.
- Time Commitment: Full-time or part-time
- Terms of Enrollment: Fall/ Spring/ Summer/ Rolling
- Course Requirements: 36 credits
- Application Deadline: Rolling—priority is given to applications received before January 15.
- Admissions Requirements: GRE exam not required
The Early Childhood Education M.Ed. Program is designed to prepare students to work in a variety of settings that support the learning and development of young children. It includes rigorous coursework, as well as opportunities for observation and fieldwork in schools and centers for children birth through age 8. Students can complete 6 credits of their program by participating in Pitt’s month-long Early Childhood Education Study Abroad Program in Florence, Italy.
Basic Areas of Education (12 credits)
- Education and Human Development - 3 credits
- Education and Society - 3 credits
- Introduction to Research Methodology - 3 credits
- IL 2290 - Research Seminar For M.Ed. Students or
- IL 2690 - Research Seminar Online
- IL 2042 - Language And Literature For The Young Child
- IL 2270 - Integrated Art & Music In Elementary School
- IL 2433 - Math/Science Instruction For Young Learners 1 (Pre-K - Grade 4)
- IL 2434 - Math And Science Methods 2 (Pre-K - Grade 4)
- IL 2905 - Teaching Infants, Toddlers, And Preschoolers
- IL 2208 - Reading/Writing Methods 1: Pre-K - Grade 1
- IL 2209 - Reading Writing Methods 2: Grade 2-4
- IL 2268 - Social Studies Methods Pre-K - 4
- IL 2047 - Integrated Curriculum Pre-K-4
- IL 2563 - Sem: Inclusion Early Childhood
- Other Elective Approved by Advisor - 3 credits
Major Field Studies
- IL 2041 - Introduction To Early Childhood Education
- IL 2906 - Community Resources Seminar: Young Children And Families
- Advanced Course in Family Studies or Approved Elective - 3 credits
- Practicum or Approved Elective - 3 credits
One of the following:
- IL 2500 - Foundations Of Special Education
- IL 2501 - Student W/Disab In Elementary Classroom
- IL 2523 - Literacy Assessment & Instruction For Children With Disabilities In Inclusive Settings In Elementary Classroom
- IL 2505 - Autism: Characteristics And Interventions
Successful completion of required coursework, field experiences, and comprehensive exam.
No specific course prerequisites.
Preschool teacher, caregiver, private school teacher, work with children in varied community agencies, professional development trainer, and early education policy development, among other related careers.
Master's Admissions Guidelines
To be considered for our master's programs, your admissions materials must include the following basic elements. Please visit the web page of your program of interest to see if there are additional program requirements.
- Applications are submitted through the Pitt Education Online Application Form
- There is a non-refundable application fee of $50 (USD) to be paid by credit card
- Your online application must include (a.) a Goal statement, (b.) your resume or curriculum vitae, and (c.) contact information for three academic or professional contacts to later be invited to provide letters of recommendation
- The instructions for your goal statement are as follows: "Please share your reasons for pursuing a degree at the University of Pittsburgh School of Education, focusing on your long-term goals and how your academic program will help you achieve those goals. Include any aspects of your experience, skills, and background which may aid the admission committee in evaluating your fit for the program for which you are applying. Your goal statement should be a maximum of 750 words."
Need-Based Application Fee Waiver
Applicants may be eligible for a need-based application fee waiver due to:
- Pell eligibility within the last three years
- Recent participation in federal, state, or local programs that aid students from low-income families
- Qualification for public assistance
- Otherwise demonstrable financial hardship, including emergency expenses or unexpected medical bills
If you believe that you are eligible for a need-based fee waiver, please submit your request HERE. Our admissions staff will review your request, and reach back out to assist you in completing your application. The School of Education reserves the right to request any necessary documentation.
- Official transcripts from every institution previously attended can be sent to us electronically at email@example.com or mailed to us at "School of Education Admissions and Enrollment Services, 5500 Posvar Hall, 230 South Bouquet Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15260"
- Any courses that you took or degrees that you earned from the University of Pittsburgh after 2008 do not need to be sent. Our office can obtain these transcripts internally.
Additional Requirements for Teacher Preparation Programs Only
- For Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and MOSAIC applicants - Completion of Documentation of 30 hours of Education-Related Experience Form.
- For Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) applicants - Completion of our Online Transcript review.
- For Foreign Language Education applicants - Completion of an Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) to be scheduled through the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language (ACTFL).
The University of Pittsburgh School of Education opened its doors in the fall of 1910, with Professor Will Grant Chambers as founding dean and an original graduating class of eight men and women. Cons ... और अधिक पढ़ें